Cottonwood Sunshine's Guardian Family the Monroe's!
Meet Terry, Kristi, Breana, Meghan and 'Skittles'.
Sunshine is one lucky dog to have joined the Monroe family! Thanks for all the love and care you give our sweet Sunshine! Cottonwood Sunshine is now retired after delivering some beautiful puppies for us. She lives a wonderful retired life with the Monroe Family.
Violet is now retired and in her amazing forever home
with the Hinz family; living the life of leisure and
being their Number 1 ‘Chill Dog’!
So pleased to have such an amazing Guardian Home
for our up and coming new breeder from
Cottonwood’s Honey/Bruno litter born January 4, 2016.
Meet the Jost Family, Bruce, Kimberlee, Talia, Ella and Cottonwood's Pippa! They've already completed two Puppy Classes
with Pippa and will begin Obedience class in August.
They love her so much; (Kimberlee tells me this often), and I know they are providing the best care, love, and socialization a pup could ever have!
Cottonwood Labradoodles Guardian Home
Our guardian home program allows for a local family to have a “pick of the litter” puppy/adolescent for a fraction of the price. We adore our dogs and puppies and strive to find the very best Guardian homes with families who can provide a loving, stable home and care for these amazing dogs as we would. The Guardian home is meant to be the permanent home for the dog while the breeding rights are retained by Cottonwood Labradoodles. The Guardian Family gets to enjoy the companionship of these wonderful dogs while the dog receives the benefits of a loving home and being a valued member of the family. It is a positive relationship for all!
Cottonwood Labradoodles retains the ownership and breeding rights while the dog lives with their Guardian Family. Transfer of ownership will happen once the dog has finished their breeding career. A dog in our guardian home program may be female or male. Some may be adult dogs and others may be puppies. Length of breeding career will be determined individually with each family. For example, a female may have 2 to 4 litters (at the sole discretion of Cottonwood Labradoodles) with their first litter occurring around two years of age. When the guardian dog comes in season the guardian family will contact us immediately. Most intact females will have a heat cycle every 6 months which lasts roughly 14 to 21 days. Once in heat, we will need access to the guardian dog for breeding related appointments. After she is bred, she will remain with the guardian family until one week before pups are due. At this time, she will come and stay with us until pups are born and fully weaned, and then return to the guardian family after about 7 ½ weeks. A male breeder comes for short periods of time, to breed a female, and then returned the same day.
Guardian families are welcome and encouraged to visit their female guardian dog with scheduled visits while residing with us. Guardian families are responsible for normal routine care and veterinary care including but not limited to training, socialization, monthly heartworm prevention, flea and tick prevention, annual vaccines, feeding a high-quality dog food, grooming and lots of love and affection.
Essentially, these are the same responsibilities families would have for their own dog. Cottonwood Labradoodles pays for all breeding related expenses. As an added benefit for the guardian family and depending on our schedule; we may provide care for your dog while on vacation. Probably the most exciting aspect of being a guardian is you know you have the ‘pick of the litter’ which is the best of the best from Cottonwood Labradoodles. And your family will have the experience and enjoyment of seeing your dog become a mother or father to some beautiful puppies who will bring happiness to other families. We will ask you to visit our home periodically to ensure the dog is comfortable when he or she comes for breeding or whelping. You will also be responsible for sending pictures and updates periodically for our website.
Requirements / Responsibilities -
* Live within 30 miles from Cottonwood Labradoodles
* Own your home;
* Fenced yard which is a physical fence for at least part of the yard
* Flexible schedule (work at home, dog goes to work with you, etc - no more than 4 hours alone);
* Routine Veterinary care (see above list)
* Keep female dog away from intact males when in season and breeder male away from females in season.
* All dogs and pups placed in guardian homes must be ‘indoor dogs’ and not be left outside unattended. There should be plenty of opportunities for exercise and play.
* Not allow intact males to breed intact females;
* Training – basic commands taught by Guardian through a puppy/dog obedience class and preferably Canine Good Citizen (CGC);
* Socialization of the puppy/dog;
* Notify us immediately when female dog is in season;
* Visit our home periodically to ensure the dog is comfortable when he or she comes for breeding or whelping;
* A willingness to accept and follow breeder’s recommendations for basic health care and veterinary care;
* Sending pictures and updates periodically for our website;
* Bring the dog to Cottonwood Labradoodles as needed for health testing, breeding and whelping, or allow us to pick up.
* Be screened and interviewed by the breeder of Cottonwood Labradoodles
When beginning the program a Guardian will pay a security deposit of 1/3 the price of one of our pet puppies. At the end of the dog’s breeding career, the Guardian will be refunded the total deposit and the contract will be completed. Cottonwood pays for the dog to be spayed or neutered and the ownership will be transferred to the Guardian family. If the dog’s temperament or health testing doesn’t meet the standards for our breeding program, we will pay to have the dog desexed and they will become your dog much earlier.
If you are interested in learning more about being a part of our Guardian Program, please fill out an application on our website under Request a Puppy and submit it to us. We will then contact you to discuss this more in detail and to let you know our current and future availability.